Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hybrid Cheese!






Last week we were invited by my sister in law, Tammy, to come over and learn how to make cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. We came with our gallons of whole milk, strainers, and pots. It was really fun and I learned a lot. Tammy gave us an awesome lecture on cheese and bacteria and the DNA of bacteria and how it all works together to make cheese and alter the taste, appearance, etc. We discovered however that our Rennin that we used was not as fresh as it should have been and therefore only 1 of our mozzarella pots turned out *good job Maribel:)* while the rest of ours were a mix between mozzarella and ricotta. Although they weren't like we were hoping they would turn out...they were soooo yummy. I made manicotti on Monday using a mixture of Parmesan, eggs, nutmeg, and my ricotta/mozzarella hybrid to make the most delicious dish. After I stuffed the shells, I poured a regular pasta sauce over the noodles and added my homemade plain ricotta to the top. ( I made ricotta from the whey after I had collected my cheese). I wish I would've taken a picture of it but believe me it was deliciouso!!!
We successfully made homemade yogurt and love getting to eat that-so far lemon is our all time favorite around here-
Our cheddar didn't turn out either (we will have to try that one again) but it did make lots of yummy cream cheese. Thanks for the fun time Tam!

No comments: