Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Peaceful Passing




I received a call from my mom this morning letting me know that my grandma Cooper passed away last night. Grandma would've been 88 this month. My grandma, commonly called Granny Franny, was an awesome woman. I have so many fond memories of my grandma from when I was very young. Some of my very earliest memories are of getting letters in the mail from my grandma (she has been my longest penpal), going on walks with her before breakfast, learning to make zuchhini casserole, camping, baking, going to dinner at her home, her ability to make beautiful porcelin dolls, playing Uno... then as I grew older and was at BYU driving down with my roommates to visit her on the weekend. My friends always thought she was so sweet.
Later as I got married and had our first son, Dallas, she was there. Grandma loved Dallas. I am so grateful that we lived so close for a couple of years so we were able to spend so much time with her. Everytime we went over to visit grandma we would have to take a walk around all of her neighbors so she could show him off. Shortly before we moved up here to Washington grandma slipped on some ice and broke her hip and eventually had to move to a long term care facility. The pictures I posted were from our visit with her 2 years ago August when we took our family to Utah on vacation and to see my brother Derek off into the MTC.
My sweet grandma will be greatly missed by all those that knew her and loved her. Grandma had a huge heart and my heart aches for her today. I am grateful for the many lessons I learned from her and especially that my husband was able to know her and get a glimpse of what a neat lady she was. I like to imagine who was there waiting for her in heaven. I think my grandpa Cecil was there and her parents and her grandparents-what a happy reunion!

5 comments:

Michael said...

Grandma Cooper will be missed. She was such a sweet lady. I remember when she would invite us over for dinner and it was cute how she would have just a tiny bit of food, but to her it was an over abundance because she ate like a bird. I bet everybody on the other side is very excited today!

JULIET said...

I never knew Grandma Cooper, but I know she will be missed by you guys and others, she is in a happy place now! May God bless you and your family at this time for your loss. You will be reunited with her again and that is comforting! Much love!

Lisa said...

I only met your Grandma a few times and she was always very sweet and nice. I am glad you have so many wonderful memories with her and that she has influenced your life for good. It is cute how she wanted to walk around her neighbors to show her great grandchild off. :) Sounds like a grandma who was proud of her family. I know you probably blessed her life just as much as she blessed your life.

It's interesting that we were just talking about Grandma Cooper at dinner last night and she went ahead and graduated the very same night! I have no doubt she is having a very happy reunion with those loved ones on the other side. I am grateful for the knowledge we have of the plan of salvation, and to know that families can be forever.

My thoughts and prayers will be with your family- and especially your dad. Even though your grandma is in a better place, it is always hard to say good-bye...or even just 'til we meet again.

Tammy said...

I'm sorry for your loss derrinda. RIP grandma Cooper.

Dad Stone said...

Derrinda and Family, I'm so sorry to hear of Grandma Cooper's passing. I know that it is best that she joins your Grandpa Cecil, but we are the ones missing out on her beautiful personality, and radiant warmth. Please give our best to your folks at a very trying time in their lives. Love, Dad/Grandpa Stone