Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Everyone's Enlightened

Lately after I'm done running on the treadmill in the mornings I'll read a few chapters in this self help book I acquired. It's called, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff..and it's all small stuff". This is one of the best little books I've read in a long time. It's always giving ideas to work on and how to be a better person. Simple little things that if applied can help in ones daily life. I wanted to share one of the chapters I read recently b/c I thought it was a really cool way to look at things and to help (at least me anyways) look at situations differently without getting annoyed or "stressed out".
"Imagine that Everyone Is Enlightened Except You"-As the title suggests, the idea is to imagine that everyone you know and everyone you meet is perfectly enlightened. That is, everyone except you! The people you meet are all here to teach you something. Perhaps the obnoxious driver or disrespectful teenager is here to teach you about patience, the punk rocker might be here to teach you to be less judgmental.
Your job is to try to determine what the people in your ife are trying to teach you. You'll find that if you do this, you'll be far less annoyed, bothered, and frustrated by the actions and imperfections of other people. You can actually get yourself in the habit of approaching life in this manner and ,if you do, you'll be glad you did. Often, once you discover what someone is trying to teach you, it's easy to let go of your frustration. For example, suppose you're in the post office and the postal clerk appears to be intentionally moving slowly. Rather than feeling frustrated, ask yourself the question, "What is he trying to teach me?" Maybe you need to learn about compassion-how hard it would be to have a job that you don't like. Or perhaps you could learn a little more about being patient. Standing in line is an excellent opportunity to break your habit of feeling impatient.
You may be surprised at how fun and easy this is. All you're really doing is changing your perception from "Why are they doing this?" to "What are they trying to teach me?" Take a look around today at all the enlightened people.

4 comments:

JULIET said...

that is a great idea derrinda. i think most times we just get frustrated and go on with our day so this is a great reminder. thanks!

Lisa said...

Funny, I was thinking this very thing yesterday with the broken water pipe..."what am I supposed to learn from this?"
Good job running on the treadmill in the mornings.

Tammy said...

Nice insight Derrinda! I'm glad to see you putting your "two cents" on your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a concept. I will have to try that and keep trying. Thank you.