Sunday, March 1, 2015

Hit and Run

Just for posterity reasons...when your parent tells you something, it's usually because they know a little about the subject or they want you to be safe. Sometimes it's not because they are being mean! Case in point-last night around 10 p.m. Dallas asked if I would drive his friend home. Granted it was only about a block away but it was dark and I wanted him to be safe. The other boys and I had been watching a good movie, Shiloh, and had our pjs on but nevertheless I know I appreciate it when my son is driven home in the dark. Dallas asked if he could start the car for me so I agreed as he's done this before and I've never had any reason to think differently now. I walked outside and opened the driver side door so that Dallas could exit and I get it, which is what usually happens. Dallas had a different idea tonight. While I was telling him to get out so we could go, he starts asking if he can back it up. I said no. I have never allowed my children to drive any of our vehicles. I don't think they should until they are 15. That's my personal feeling on this subject. I told him no again and to get out and he just proceeds to put the car in reverse and slam on the gas. The car immediately starts moving backward and the force threw me on the ground resulting in slamming my head into the ground and somehow flipped me over so the bottom of the drivers door ran along the whole back side of my legs. (Today I have a huge, thick, purple/black bruise that is running from one side of my left hamstring to the top of my right can cheek) Anyways...I jumped up as soon as the door was off of me and screamed "Dallas" and started running towards him and I could see the look of sheer panic on his face as he didn't know what to do and hit the gas again. Let me say it's a good thing we have a long driveway since after that second time the gas pedal was applied he jumped out of the van. I jumped over Dallas and ran and hoped in the van and immediately slammed on the brake. I was inches from the neighbors front yard. I quickly drove the van and parked it in the driveway all the while shaking since I couldn't believe what just happened. I got out of the van and heard a PoP so I know the door is jacked up a bit. Hopefully something just needs tweaked a little. After this happened I told Dallas that he needed to walk Dane home as I found I had wet myself during this traumatic ordeal. I had dirt all over my shoulder and back and the kids were freaking out thinking we needed to call grandpa Stone. After I assured them I was fine and got myself cleaned up things settled down a bit. After Dallas got home he was really sorry, which was nice to think he actually cares a little. He did tell me when I tucked him in though last night that his friend, Dane, said he didn't know I could run so fast! Ha ha ha...that is something I NEVER hear. I'm just glad that the kids weren't hurt and no ones property was damaged. I can imagine what a mess that would've been. So the moral of the story....listen to your parents kids! Sometimes we do know things and when we say "No", just leave it alone! And as my awesome sister in law, Tammy says, "That's my two cents!".

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Scary experience! I'm so glad it wasn't worse than it already was. Yes, parents usually know what they're talking about. Sounds like you had the super mom adrenaline going in order to chase the car and hop in and stop it after basically getting knocked down and run over. Sounds like some movie scene or a bad dream.

G'PA STONE said...

Mercy Derrinda, that was a horrible experience for everyone involved. We're so sorry to hear of this. Hopefully Dallas has learned a valuable lesson, and will listen to his parents. Hope you recover as fast as you darted to stop the van that eventful night.

Tammy said...

That's pretty scary Derrinda. I'm glad you're okay.