Friday, March 19, 2010

Cannery Update

So I went to the cannery last night and experienced dry pack canning. I have to say it was so much fun. I'm probably a real dork for saying this but I think I would actually like working on an assembly line but anyways... There were 4 other people from our ward and another sister from our ward worked with me-we scooped the food into the #10 cans. We got on our aprons, hair nets, and gloves and were assigned different stations. (We canned black beans, white beans, refried beans, flour, sugar, dry milk, hot cocoa mix, quick oats, regular oats, and carrots in our station) After we were all done we had to clean and wipe down everything-Sanitizing is the key:) When we were all finished with that we checked to make sure our orders were correct and went and paid for our hard work:) I ended up getting 29 #10 cans of various items and a couple items like potato pearls and pancake mix in bulk. It's a lot different when you can actually go there and put the food in the cans and seal them and everything. I had lots of fun and can't wait until wet pack time;)

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you had such a great experience at the cannery. It is cool that you were able to add some stuff to your food storage. Good job Derrinda.

JULIET said...

Sounds like fun Derrinda! good job doing that hard work!